Gifts from Retirement Plans During Life
How It Works
- You take a distribution from your qualified retirement plan or IRA that is includable in your gross income
- You make a gift of the distribution or of other assets equal in value to the distribution
- You receive an offsetting charitable deduction
- If you are 70½ or older, read ahead about the IRA rollover opportunity available to you
- You may draw on perhaps your largest source of assets, with no adverse tax consequences, to support the programs that are important to you at NYU Langone
- The distribution offsets your minimum required distribution
- If you use appreciated securities instead of cash from your distribution to make your gift, you'll avoid the capital-gain tax on the appreciation
© Pentera, Inc. Planned giving content. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided is general in nature and may not apply to all individuals. This information does not constitute legal or tax advice. We urge you to consult with your personal tax, financial, and legal advisors concerning the specific consequences of making gifts to NYU Langone. We would be pleased to discuss, in confidence, ways in which you may support NYU Langone.